Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Reading List 2011

I have finished my reading for my study in the Emergent Church. I am bored with it as a topic.... it's such a buzz-word and seems to be written of in every evangelical blog out there. So, I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to write "my thoughts" about it as a movement and it's implications and such or not. Don't get me wrong, it's important to know where you stand on certain aspects of the EC, but so many people have done so much more research than I have. There are substantial resources out there already, and I'm not sure I find it necessary (or even that interesting anymore) to make a contribution here.


I will be, however, updating this blog with my book reviews of the rest of the EC books I read.


Now, in the vein of the blog of my good friend Pheaney, I have decided to compile a list of books I want to read by the end of the year.


I think this will help me to continue reading the books that I already have interest in, and hopefully stop buying more and more books to my "to-read" list (which is becoming ridiculously large).


Here is my pre-limenary reading list of 2011 (in no particular order):

1. Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, by Eric Metaxas (currently reading)
2. Generous Justice: How God's Grace Makes Us Just, by Timothy Keller
3. The Pursuit of God, by A.W. Tozer
4. God of the Possible: A Biblical Introduction to the Open View of God, by Gregory A. Boyd
5. God's Lesser Glory: The Diminished God of Open Theism, by Bruce A. Ware
6. The God Who Risks: A Theology of Divine Providence, by John Sanders
7. How Long, O Lord? Reflections on Suffering and Evil, by D.A. Carson 
12. Respectable Sins: Confronting Sins We Tolerate, by Jerry Bridges (started moons ago, never finished)
13.
14.   
      I am reserving 13-14 (if I get to them) for whatever comes up. Whether it's a topic a student brings up that I want to brush up on, or a book that catches my fancy. The thing is, I have to finish at least four books before I can add a 13th to the list. And another four after that before I can add number 14.

The question is, which book do I start with?

No comments:

Post a Comment